Lessons are conducted in one of two ways: in your home (see areas below) or at Kristina’s home studio in the Jefferson Park/Leimert Park neighborhood of Los Angeles, which is conveniently located a few blocks from the Metro Expo Line. Take the train and save time!
For an additional travel fee per lesson, Kristina can bring the lesson to the comfort of your home if you are located in the Mid City or South LA areas. Please contact Kristina if you’d like to know if your neighborhood fits this description!
Please ask Kristina for her current rates. Lessons are from 30-60 minutes on a weekly basis, depending on age and ability. There is a consolidated rate for families.
Piano Books and Materials
All books, scores, and materials are assigned by Kristina and purchased by the student. It’s required that all beginning to early-advanced students have at least one theory book applicable to their level and repertoire that is both stimulating and informative.
For young beginning students, the Faber & Faber method books are both fun (lots of colorful pictures and playful tunes!) and thorough as they advance at a steady pace.
Beginning adult students may benefit from the Accelerated Piano Adventures series, supplemented by basic technical exercises and short, appealing pieces selected by both the student and teacher.
Intermediate and advanced students are assigned repertoire based on ability.
In addition to the annual Studio Recital, students between the ages of 5-18 can enroll in various programs and events held by MTAC throughout the year, including (but not limited to):
- Certificate of Merit®: an all-around evaluation of performance, technique, music theory, ear training, and sight reading;
- Southern California Junior Bach Festival;
- Classical and Romantic Festival;
- Contemporary Festival.
Intermediate to advanced-level adult students can also gain confidence in performance through events such as:
- Adult Music Salon;
- Adult Performance Program (MTAC).
- Students are required to settle monthly lesson fees and dates by the first lesson of each month.
- Lessons are non-refundable.
- Once the dates are settled at the beginning of each month, lessons can be rescheduled but NOT canceled for reasons due to sickness, conflicts, or emergencies. If a lesson cannot be rescheduled, it will be forfeited by the student.
- Students are responsible for bringing books and other lesson materials to each lesson and arriving in a timely manner.
- Students are required to perform in the annual Studio Recital.
- Students and parents of younger students are expected to fulfill a weekly practice requirement in order to progress. This varies for each student depending on age and ability. However, consistency is more important than quantity, and it is always possible to find a little time to practice and/or review lesson materials within a busy schedule.